Friday, January 21, 2011

SQL Saturday #57 Houston

The other day, I registered for SQL Saturday #57 in Houston.  I know what you're thinking; SQL on a Saturday?  Don't I have something better to do?  Well, yes, I have plenty of things I would rather be doing.  But I felt this was a fairly unique opportunity that I wanted to take advantage of.

The first time I heard about SQL Saturday was at SQL PASS 2010 in Seattle last year.  I kept seeing people with T-shirts that mentioned SQL Saturday.  I asked some folks about it, and I found out it is an event that rotates locations enabling SQL Server Professionals to get together and learn more about SQL Server.

While at SQL PASS, I signed up for Twitter in order to keep track of all the updates and to be able to see what all the attendees were chatting about during the conference.  Since then, I have been exploring what is out there.  Recently, I saw a posting about the upcoming SQL Saturday in Houston.  Well, since Texas is a relatively small state I decided a road trip was in my future.

After looking at the website and schedule of sessions, I was very impressed.  SQL Saturday offers some very good training on a variety of topics for no cost.  I noticed that several of the speakers were people that I met at SQL PASS; bloggers, presenters, or just some folks I exchanged business cards with.

I am excited about attending my first SQL Saturday.  I think it will be a good way to meet some other people in the SQL community and to learn about more about SQL Server.  Perhaps exploring a few new topics, or getting a deep dive on something familiar.

Either way, it should be a good experience.  If you are interested in learning more about SQL Server, take a look at the SQL Saturday website and see if there is a session near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment