This summer, Microsoft in planning to release SQL Server 2016 Public Preview. You can sign up to be notified once it becomes available.
Some of the high-level features they are advertising include:
- Always Encrypted
- Stretch Database
- Real-time Operational Analytics & In-Memory OLTP
- Built-in Advanced Analytics, PolyBase and Mobile BI
- Row-level Security and Dynamic Data Masking
- More Synchronous Replicas for AlwaysOn Availability Groups
- Round Robin Load Balancing for Secondaries
- Native JSON Support
You can read the data sheet information here.
Brent Ozar has a nice write-up with his thoughts on what it all means. He does a nice job of distilling the marketing buzz down to nuts and bolts and what it will really mean to the rest of us.
I know I'm signing up to download the SQL Server 2016 Preview as soon as it's available. How about you?